Tarvia Henry

Kartel waits for release

By PAUL HENRY, Observer staff reporter, This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.

Thursday, July 08, 2010



 

 

Vybz Kartel
1/1

DETAINED danchehall act Vybz Kartel should know if he will be freed for the weekend when his detention order expires tomorrow.

Kartel was detained last week Friday and underwent intense questioning after turning himself in to the Greater Portmore Police Station, some three days after the police named him and five other men as major persons of interest.

The artiste, whose given name is Adijah Palmer, was questioned in relation to criminal gangs in Portmore, St Catherine.

Chris Tavares-Finson, one of Kartel's lawyers, said he was hopeful the deejay would be released.

"His detention order is up tomorrow. We are hoping that they will release him," Tavares-Finson told the Observer moments ago.

If released, the artiste should be able to honour a booking he has to perform in Ocho Rios.

Kartel is also booked for a show in the Bahamas, Tavares-Finson said. The artiste is also slated to perform at Sumfest.

But Kartel's release is not guaranteed. Security Minister Dwight Nelson can extend the entertainer's detention on advice from the police under the current State of Public Emergency under which he was detained. The State of Emergency was called on May 23 as a result of the upheaval by gunmen loyal to accused drug lord Christopher 'Dudus' Coke.

When Kartel turned in himself last week, his detention was extended from 24 hours to five days.

"Let's wait and see," said Tavares-Finson.

Tagged under

 

Body discovered early yesterday PDF Print E-mail
News Articles - Local
Written by Rawle Nelson   
Thursday, 21 January 2010 12:00

Early yesterday morning, 29-year-old Maxwell Chumney was gunned down sometime after 1 a.m., according to residents.

He was shot dead at his home in West Street Newton and residents reportedly heard four shots. Press and Public Relations Officer of the St. Christopher and Nevis Police Force, Inspector Vaughn Henderson, said the police from the Basseterre Police Station responded to a report of body found at West Street Newton.

The body of Maxwell Chumney being removed from the scene of the crime. (Photo courtesy Andre Huie of WINNFM)"Police investigation revealed that Maxwell Chumney was found dead in a yard in Newton and he had injuries to his head which suggested that he had been a victim of gunshot wounds," he said.

He confirmed that the police received reports from residents, who claimed they heard gunshots sometime after 1 a.m. There is no suspect and investigations are ongoing.

A relative told the media that her brother was discovered dead after 7:45 a.m. yesterday. She said she was told that while individuals heard gunshots, they thought it was firecrackers.

Chumney’s death brings the total number of people killed for the year to three, with Keithon Stanley and Kimoy Powel being others who have all died from gunshot injuries.

In the first incident, Stanley 26, of Nevis, Craddock Road was shot to death at 6 a.m. while on 7 Jan., 23-year-old Powel was gunned down at Crosses Alley. He is originally from Central Basseterre but resided in Nevis.

The police have not held any suspects for both murders, stating that investigations are ongoing. Last year, the Federation recorded 27 murders.

Tagged under
Page 20 of 20